Thursday, July 26, 2007

Uganda in one week

Hi to everyone!

Welcome to my blog! I hope to use this forum as a means to keep in touch and update everyone on my experiences as I travel to Uganda with the Peace Corps for 2 years. I'm not sure exactly how this will work. I hope to post regularly, but internet access is unpredictable at this point; I will know much more when I actually arrive in country and then again once I am given my placement after my first 3 months.

The overview of my 27 months is as follows. On august 5th, I depart for Philadelphia, in which I will have a staging event for 2 days. There I will meet the other volunteers and get a brief introduction in the peace corps inlcuding some extra shots and stuff. On the 7th, we will begin our trip to Uganda via Brussles and Kenya. The first 3 months of my service will be training. I will be living with a host family and (hopefully) learning the essentials of successfully living and working in Uganda. After those first 3 months, I will begin my service. My location within the country is TBA, however I have an idea about my job. I will be a health voulnteer doing HIV/AIDS prevention/support work. Again, I will find out more information when I get there.

So, my two years in a nut shell. Soon it will become a fleshed out, exciting, overwhelming, reflective, insightful and undpredictable experience and I am so grateful to be sharing it will you all.

I look forward to taking you along in this next chapter of my life as I step outside of my boundaries and into Uganda. Know that I am thinking about all of you and am so thankful for your love, support, questions and jokes about this decision that I have made.

Julie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You're going to do great, Jules! Keep in touch- can't wait to start reading the blog.

Alex said...

So apparently one of my friends just got back from 6 weeks in Uganda. She said even though they've seen white people, they will still treat you like a celebrity and take pictures with you every time they see you. Keep us posted as much as you can and in as much detail (with pictures, of course). I'm excited to hear about your trip.